How much does circumcision cost in Melbourne?
If you are in the process of considering circumcision for yourself or your child, one of the main questions you may have — apart from the medical benefits — is how much the circumcision will cost.
Short answer: it depends on which of our circumcision procedures you are considering and the age of the patient.
We’ve broken down all the costs that are associated with circumcision at our clinic so that you can have a better understanding before you make your decision. Bear in mind that this is meant to serve as a general guide for possible patients; the only way to get a definitive answer in terms of the cost of the procedure is to book an appointment with our specialist, Dr Hajoona.
Why go through with a circumcision in the first place?
Circumcision is a procedure in which the foreskin is removed from the penis. Though typically circumcision occurs when boys are in their infancy, the procedure can be performed at any time for men of any age.
The most common reasons parents in Australia choose to have their baby circumcised are for cultural, family or religious reasons. Some choose to circumcise their children because the male parent was circumcised as a baby; others do so for aesthetics, or for improved hygiene in the penis area.
There are also several health benefits associated with circumcision, including:
- Reduces urinary tract infections
- Prevents phimosis (tightening of the foreskin)
- Prevents balanitis (infections under the foreskin)
- Lowers risk of developing penile cancer
- Lowers risk of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV
Before you make a decision for yourself or your baby boy, it is important to speak to a circumcision doctor and ensure that you understand all the information that is given to you. Although circumcision is a low-risk procedure, it is still a surgery and there may be risks involved, such as infection. In most cases, Medicare will cover the initial consultation with your doctor, meaning that it is worth it to explore your options.
Whatever your reason for getting the procedure may be, our Melbourne circumcision specialist will be able to answer any questions you have and supply you with all the information you need. Get in contact with us by phone or via our website to schedule your appointment.
What are the factors that determine the costs for a Melbourne circumcision?
The price of circumcision can vary widely depending on the clinic and the patient. Factors for the cost of circumcision in Melbourne include:
The age of the patient (infant, older child, adult men)
The method of circumcision used
Existing health conditions
Pain relief required
To find out more about how the cost of circumcision may differ, our Melbourne specialist will be happy to explain all the details to you during your consultation.
Can a grown man be circumcised?
At Victoria Circumcision Clinic, it is common for us to perform circumcisions for males of any age, including adults. That being said, the procedure will be more expensive for older patients and you can expect to feel more pain than if you were to get the circumcision procedure as an infant.
We perform surgical circumcision for adult patients and pride ourselves on providing quality care that minimises any pain or discomfort. On the day, the circumcision will take approximately one hour, though you may spend up to three hours at the clinic with your consultation, prep and time for observation after the operation is done. The wound will take four to six weeks to heal and the stitches used will dissolve on their own.
How much does it cost to get circumcised?
Typically, Medicare will cover the expense of your initial consultation with Dr Hajoona prior to the procedure; thus, if you decide not to go through with circumcision for yourself or your baby boy, there should be no consequences in terms of cost. However, Medicare will not cover the costs of your actual circumcision procedure. This means that there will be a gap (amount you have to pay out of pocket). Below is an indication of the price you can expect to pay for each of our procedures:
*Circumcision Fee to be paid on day of procedure.
- Newborn (0-3months) $525 (Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare as a rebate ). The out of pocket cost will be $400.
- Infant (3-12 months ) $625 (Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare). ( Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare as a rebate ). The out of pocket cost will be $500.
- Toddler (1-4years) $775 (Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare as a rebate ). The out of pocket cost will be $650.
- Child (4-9years) $825 (Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare as a rebate ). The out of pocket cost will be $700.
- Child (10years +) and Adult : $975 ShangRing or $1225 Surgical (Of which $125 is paid back to you by Medicare as a rebate ). The out of pocket cost will be $850 or $1100.
- Frenuloplasty as part of Circumcision $250
- Frenuloplasty on it’s own $885 (Of which $80 is paid back to you by Medicare as rebate). The out of pocket cost will be $800.
- Frenuloplasty procedure can be done on its own or as part of the Circumcision procedure.
Prices will be confirmed on the day of the procedure.
Payment is due on the day of the procedure.
Please call our clinic if you have any questions about the cost.
Prices can change without notice.
The revised prices above start on 01 July 2022
It is important to note that these are a general indication of the price; as such, these are subject to individual factors for each patient, which will be discussed during your consultation. You will be given the exact cost of your circumcision on the day of the procedure.
Contact us today!
Are you considering circumcision for yourself or your child? You can find out more information about our procedures and the cost by giving us a call at +61 3 9470 3155 or booking an appointment.
Please feel free to reach out to us by phone, email, or by using this contact form — we’re always happy to help.